Good jobs with good pay are available in your area!
Career Solutions career planners can help you qualify for these jobs. Learn new-in demand skills at no cost to you.
What is Youthbuild?
The purpose of Career Solution’s Minnesota Youthbuild program is to provide at-risk youth ages 16-24 with an opportunity to learn construction trades while contributing to their community. Specialized training in the building trades develops participants’ construction skills while helping communities expand or improve housing for economically disadvantaged populations and the homeless.
Who can benefit from Youthbuild?
Students from St. Cloud Area School District 742-Technical High School who are interested in construction careers and the various post-secondary and apprenticeship options.
- Self-evaluation, goal setting, employability skills training
- Research of specific career information on trades within the construction field
- Training leading to industry-recognized credentials
- Work readiness & life skills training
- Career planning & exploration
- Exposure to union building trades apprenticeship
- Support to attain a high school diploma, GED, or its equivalent
- Community service activities
- OSHA 10 certification
- Basic academic and leadership training
- Exposure to programs at the St. Cloud Technical & Community College
- Exposure to local businesses in the construction industry
- Previous building projects have included Habitat for Humanity homes, tiny houses, sheds and cabinets
How much will the program cost?
There are no fees. Youthbuild is funded by a Minnesota state employment and training program.
Youthbuild Success Stories
Brady has been in Youthbuild for over two years now. He has worked on over six Habitat for Humanity homes, a tiny house and various other projects. Brady became interested in construction his sophomore year of High School and has taken every woods and construction course they offer. This is his second year in the Building Trades program and he has developed many positive leadership skills as a result. Brady’s plan for the future is to attend the local Carpentry program at SCTCC. Brady has become OSHA 10 certified and awarded the level two Carpenter International Training.
“I’m glad to be done with OSHA 10. It was a lot of work, but it is worth it!”
“I love doing hands on learning. My favorite thing was building a house.”
“I’m so glad I got the opportunity to use so many cool tools.”
“I learned about shingling, sheeting walls, putting up siding, working on framing and I just enjoyed every minute of it”
“The program has helped a lot. I’m able to fix the minor damages in our house”
“The value in receiving the Career Connections curriculum Certification of Completion is that it gives the Youthbuild students credit toward their apprenticeship while still in high school. This will result in starting at a higher rate of pay and developing the skills necessary for success.”
Youthbuild Annual Report
Career Solution’s Youthbuild partners:
Visit our contact page and make sure to mention this program in your message.
Or, call or email for more information:
Denise Hooper, Youth Career Planner