Providing summer youth employable skills training opportunities
What is CareerONE?
- CareerONE is a unique summer youth employability skills training opportunity which provides youth ages 14 – 17 identified as at risk with a realistic and positive work readiness training experience in a safe, nurturing and learning-rich environment; and prevents participants from regressing academically during the summer months.
- CareerONE has demonstrated success since 2000. Each year, SBETC seeks to improve on our model to continue to provide an elite opportunity for youth.
- Because of the additional generous support from CentraCare Health and United Way of Central Minnesota, SBETC was able to provide services to additional youth and add a two-week camp in Sauk Centre.
- Youth participate in a variety of classroom and community activities including Contextual Academic Enrichment, Career Exploration, Work Readiness Skills, Workplace Safety, Financial Literacy Program, Reflections and Journaling and Work Projects for Community Based Organizations and Agencies.
- CareerONE also includes: earning a stipend, food (breakfast, lunch & snack), work shirts, free transportation from pre-selected rural Stearns & Benton County sites and there is no cost for this program.
You may qualify…
- If you are 14-17 years of age
- Living in St. Cloud, Paynesville, Sauk Centre or Stearns or Benton County surrounding areas
- Able to demonstrate reading and math skills at 5th grade level or higher
- Able to work safely in a team setting with minimal supervision
Success Story: KATERINA
“My name is Katerina. I joined CareerONE because I wanted to know more about jobs and finance. I wanted to earn the money because my mom is sick so she can’t work and she has five kids. I wanted to save her the trouble of buying me school clothes. I also am thinking of paying to take classes to get my permit so I don’t have to put my grandma out of the way to take me to school.”
“In school, I am involved in FAB (friends against bullies) as a leader. I am going into tenth grade. Through my experience at CareerONE this summer, I learned how to stay safe, work with others as coworkers and learned about careers and life after high school. Through CareerONE I learned I would be a good match for a veterinarian job and want to go to college for that.”
Success Story: ZACHARY
“My name is Zachary I heard about CareerONE from my history teacher. During the summer I help out on my mom’s boyfriend’s farm. I do it for free because I like it! CareerONE will help me get a good paying job in the future. I had a part time job at gas station, but I quit. I think if I had attended CareerONE before, I probably would have kept it. CareerONE helped me think about my future. I especially liked the finance part. It also helped me think about jobs that I like and how they fit me. I am happy I found CareerONE and that they gave me a chance. I hope other people try it and like it.”
Visit our contact page and make sure to mention this program in your message.
Or, call or email for more information:
Jeni Pederson, Outreach & Eligibility Specialist