State funded program for placing college interns in Stearns and Benton County high schools
What is Outreach to Schools (OTS)?
- OTS is a state funded program through Career Solutions. This program places college interns in rural Stearns and Benton County high schools to provide services to assist high school students in selecting a career of interest and a post-secondary path to prepare for that career.
Purpose of OTS
- The purpose of Outreach to Schools is to assist students in their school to career transitions.
- With Minnesota having one of the highest student to counselor ratios in the country, OTS is able to help fill part of this gap and assist the school districts in meeting the requirements of World’s Best Workforce Legislation.
What does an OTS intern do with students?
- Conduct career exploration activities with high school students to assist in selecting a career of interest
- Provide career counseling and conduct career & interest assessments
- Provide job search assistance with job applications, interviewing, resumes, cover letters, etc.
- Provide college information to students on applications, FAFSA information and scholarship searches
- Share current labor market information with youth and families including job outlook, current demand, average wages
- Assist career instructors with career classroom presentations and activities
- Contact businesses to set up job shadow opportunities
- Interns receive in depth training from Career Solutions staff and the school counselors at the assigned high school